Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Center Austin Reiter in for visit
(07-26-2021, 09:41 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Yep, hindsight is always 20/20 and Father Time always wins in the end. Whitworth remaining a top tackle for as many years as he has was not a good bet then, nor would it be a good bet now. And, if he really wanted to stay in Cincinnati, he could have. When you have that many millions of dollars, how many more do you really need? 

I will never fault an athlete for trying to make as much as they can, as they have a limited amount of time to do so.  At the same time, NFL players who want to retire with a specific team typically have to take a lot less than market value to do so.  

I don't want to speak on how much more money he needed to make.  An alarmingly high % of lottery winners wind up going bankrupt.  Managing that kind of money is nowhere near as easy as people think. There is also the issue of ego with professional athletes.  One of my sister's college friends married an NFL player and she would relate constant struggles with trying to get him to save money because he would just burn through it with the attitude that he would worry about retirement when he got that huge next contract.

I have no problem with the Bengals and Whit not being able to reach a deal.  I find the the Whitworth camp acting like a high school girl who's boyfriend just broke up with them a little sad, though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Center Austin Reiter in for visit - jj22 - 07-23-2021, 03:15 PM
RE: Center Austin Reiter in for visit - Whatever - 07-26-2021, 10:26 AM
New Center? - Chezaugie - 07-25-2021, 07:58 PM