Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Center Austin Reiter in for visit
(07-26-2021, 09:29 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Don't forget at this time they drafted with high round picks their future starting tackles. The OL coach basically said we have our 2 starting tackles from the draft. Why would the Brown family sign Whit at his age to such an enormous contract when we had other people to sign like AJ Green, Dunlop, Atkins? They listened to their coaches who unfortunately were wrong. Imagine if they would have signed Whit and Ogbuehi and Fisher turned into starting tackles. We would not have been able to sign Atkins or Green and the same people would be saying how stupid the Bengals are to have signed Whit. 

Imagine the trade bait you would've had if Og & Fisher turned into starting OT in the NFL.  You'd have your anchor and team leader Whit at LT and one of the other 2 at RT.  

Do i think the Bengals were wrong with letting Whit go? not really.  He was an aging OT.  However, IMO, a team leader who hasn't had a history with injuries. Was still playing at high level I think they could've taken the risk in paying him because if the other 2 turn into starting NFL OL then you probably could've trade that piece for an extra 1st round pick. 

A competent NFL Front Office would've realized that.  

I also think it's shitty that Troy Blackburn didn't reach out to Whit directly.  As much as Whit meant to this organization, they really screwed the pooch on that one. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Center Austin Reiter in for visit - jj22 - 07-23-2021, 03:15 PM
RE: Center Austin Reiter in for visit - TJ528 - 07-26-2021, 11:29 AM
New Center? - Chezaugie - 07-25-2021, 07:58 PM