Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ken Anderson on Joe- “he’s probably better than me”
(07-26-2021, 06:08 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I love Kenny.  And I love Joe.  But Kenny is being way too generous here.  

There's a very good reason he's an inaugural member of the newly formed Ring of Honor, and there's a very good reason he's often considered as a clear snub for the HOF.  He was one of the better QB's of an entire generation, he had a winning record as a starter (91 wins), and he played in a Superbowl.

Joe Burrow, even for all of the hype of around him, the Heisman and him flashing potential, hasn't really accomplished anything of note in this league yet.  We can all hope and believe he will go on to do great things but until he actually starts proving himself to be a well above average starter, and for a consistent amount of time, then I don't think this is fair statement.  

Compared to Kenny Anderson, Joe Burrow is an absolute nobody.  And that's no shot at Joe, the same is true for any number of young QB's.  Justin Herbert?  Nobody when compared to the greats.  Justin Fields?  Nobody.  Trevor Lawrence?  Nobody.  Zach Wilson?  Nobody.

And if for some reason Kenny is just talking about skill level (throwing power + accuracy, strength, speed) then he basically just described probably 75% of the QB's in the league.  I would assume the vast majority of NFL players are physically superior to their peers from the past.

I'm honestly not trying to rain on the parade here but this Joe Burrow stuff gets a bit nuts on here and around the city.  I'm excited to see him progress as the next guy but he's still got a whole lot to prove.  Nothing is a given.  We can't keep making statements like "I think he really elevates the players around him" when he clearly hasn't done that yet.  He was 2-7-1 as a starter last season.  Let's give it some time to crown this kid.

I 100% agree with everything you just said. On the Bengals subreddit, there was a post talking about how Burrow has a better chance to win MVP than Lamar Jackson and Russell Wilson. I love Burrow as much as the next guy but I’m not ready to anoint him as the next king. He needs to prove that he is as good as many people seem to believe he is.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ken Anderson on Joe- “he’s probably better than me” - KillerGoose - 07-26-2021, 09:14 PM