Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Center Austin Reiter in for visit
(07-28-2021, 08:28 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Don't get my wrong, I think the Bengals needed to do more to fix their OL.   There's absolutely no reason they shouldn't have signed a legitimate starting guard in FA; there were plenty of options out there.  And the same questions I had about Sewell stepping in immediately are even amplified more so with someone like Carman.

Fwiw, I was Team Pitts pretty much the entire offseason.  Obviously we didn't have a chance to take him, but I valued him as more of a sure thing than Sewell.  As far as Sewell vs. Chase, I probably would have went with Sewell and either inked a WR in FA or a WR in the 2nd or 3rd. 

All that said, I really do think people on here overvalue Sewell.  I get wanting to address the OL; I just don't agree he's a can't miss sure thing, who immediately is going to a legitmate starter.

I think Sewell is a better overall prospect than Carman, but I'm actually more confident Carman will play at at least a decent level as a rookie.  The main reason for that is the ACC pumps out a lot of good edge rushers that he had to face.  The PAC-12 doesn't.  Carman even survived against Chase Young in the CFP.  It wasn't always pretty, but he got the job done.  The rookie performances by PAC-12 T's over the last several years have also been poor if you track them.  

Sewell is a great prospect and I had no issues.taking him, but he's a guy who will probably pay off in 2-3 years, not as a rookie.  Pitts and Chase are much better prepared to play at a high level and dramatically impact the win column for their teams this year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Center Austin Reiter in for visit - jj22 - 07-23-2021, 03:15 PM
RE: Center Austin Reiter in for visit - Whatever - 07-28-2021, 09:09 PM
New Center? - Chezaugie - 07-25-2021, 07:58 PM