Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capitol Hearings: Competing Narratives
(07-28-2021, 05:03 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It's nice to see Democrats caring about law enforcement for a change.  And of course this was motivated by white supremacy, white supremacy is responsible for everything bad that happens in this country and all white people should feel responsible for it.  As far as an insurrection, that's a huge stretch.  After all, no one in the crowd had an F-15 or a nuclear weapon.

No F-15, sure. But people were storming the Capitol with the clear goal of preventing the certification of an election to put the loser in power instead. Some additionally wanted to hang Mike Pence and probably some more. Imho, a Capitol storming with these intentions and a noose are enough to justify the term insurrection.
The event probably wasn't a real threat to democracy. But hearing all those Republicans calling it just fine and a tourist visit imho adds some danger to it after the deed.

As for the rest and your overall comments about police and rhetorics, I more and more sympathize with your stance on this one. (I'm not touching the gun issue :) )

(07-28-2021, 05:03 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I hope anyone who actively encouraged this incident is held responsible.  And by actively encouraging them I don't mean repeating the "big lie", I mean telling people to storm the capitol or assisting them in doing so.

Just curious, would that include Donald Trump?

(07-28-2021, 05:03 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: But let's also be real about this, Pelosi is using these hearings as much for political theatre as she is about getting to the truth, hence her appointment of Cheney.

Well, Pelosi is not above party lines and I wouldn't expect her to be. That's not how her role is defined; she's a democrat leader, after all, she's bound to look for her own party's best interests. In her defense, she did also try to go another route first, it were Republicans that refused bipartisanship in the first place. Hence the less bipartisan way with these hearings (or committee or whatever that now is). The only other thing she could have done would have been letting the issue go completely, and that imho would be a very wrong way to go about this. I also would not hold the appointment of Cheney and this Adam Whatshisname guy against her in any way. It's the most bipartisan thing she could do. Appointing other Republicans who are (as far as I can tell) all fully committed to Trump, even while said Trump is fully committed to feeling the love of the Capitol stormers, would be pointless.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Capitol Hearings: Competing Narratives - hollodero - 07-29-2021, 01:33 PM