Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Vs. Browns 2004. This could be our offense
(07-30-2021, 09:07 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Looking back, here is the starting offensive line for the 2005 season:

Levi Jones, 3rd season, 10th overall pick
Eric Steinbach, 2nd season, 33rd overall pick
Richie Braham, 11th season, 76th overall pick
Bobbie Williams, 4th season, 66th overall pick
Willie Anderson, 9th season, 10th overall pick

Now, the obvious stud on that line is Willie Anderson, and Riley Reiff, although also a first round pick, is not a viable comparator to Willie.  Reiff is a solid veteran presence at a very important position, though.  I view him as a bit of the Bobbie Williams of the line.  A solid veteran that was signed in FA.

Levi Jones was a very good LT for several years before an odd disappearing act.  Jonah could be every bit as good as Levi, if he can stay healthy.

The LG position, with Steinbach, has to look better than anything we have right now.  Everyone seems to like Spain, but he didn't grade out near Steinbach's consistent performances.  If you compare Carman to Steinbach, though he will be playing the other side, he was also a 2nd round pick and has a ton of upside.  I think Carman is going to be a real find and I liked him a lot when I found he played through that herniated disc to try and win a National Championship, rather than opt for surgery and be ready for the combine/Pro Days.  There is no doubt he is bigger and stronger than Steinbach.

At Center, we have the warrior vet known as Richie Braham.  Hopkins is a solid, slightly above average center, but Braham was a tough leader in the middle.

RG was the previously mentioned Bobbie Williams who was big, road-grading veteran that was a great addition to the line.  Here is to hoping Carman can be that addition.  

Good comparisons looking at every position. Jonah could definitely be as good as Levi, Jonah is a great technician and can both
run and pass block well. Health is the question with Jonah. Between Spain and XSF I think we will be much better this year at LG
but not near the pull blocker Steinbach was, amazing pull blocking Guard in the run game. Run blocking, my biggest question.

Hop is a very good pass blocker, not a good run blocker. Run blocking, my biggest question. Braham was great at both.

Now Jackson Carman and Bobbie Williams are similar at RG. Carman could be that guy, I like, he can maul like Bobbie.

Reiff is a great add, but there haven't been many RT's as good as Willie ever. 

Plus Reiff isn't a very good run blocker like Willie was. Yep, run blocking is the deal on this team. Hope Pollack can coach them 
up or use the RB's in the passing game as an extension of the run game.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals Vs. Browns 2004. This could be our offense - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 07-30-2021, 01:04 PM