Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capitol Hearings: Competing Narratives
(08-03-2021, 08:21 AM)hollodero Wrote: Here's what I see as the problem. These GOP members did not vote against funding capitol police. They voted against increasing the enacted level of funding for this year. Which, honestly, is quite different from "lierally defunding the police".

Now why the GOP members (also AOC and Tlaib) voted no on that increase, I do not know. Maybe for nefarious reasons, maybe just because it appears to be a political act with little actual merit. But your meme, as it stands, is not really factual. That much seems apparent from a quick glance at the real event.

Long story short they didn't plan on paying overtime that was incurred after a bunch of whiney people did some damage to property and officers...and tried to close enough to hang the VP.  Mellow  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/charlestiefer/2021/07/09/how-congressional-republicans-maneuver-against-funding-the-capitol-police-for-january-6/?sh=f0b2ee04857e

So now the GOP is blocking paying them...but *might* if they drop other items.

The GOP is actively not paying for work done.  Not funding the police.  It's a supplemental bill and they won't vote for it.

Literally not funding.

Quote:The situation starts with the Congress passing its spending bill last year to pay for the entire Capitol complex, including the Capitol Police and a projection of their expected overtime. As it was dryly put, Congress did not budget (last summer) for the January 6 insurrection. Who knew? Everything spent on dealing with that insurrection went beyond budgeted-for projections.

But the cost in funding for the Capitol Police was much more than simply what they spent that day. More than 150 Capitol and D.C. Metropolitan Police officers were injured while engaging with rioters. Dozens of officers left the department in the months since the insurrection, while others are still on leave. A Capitol Police officer died after confronting the mob, and two officers died by suicide in the wake of the attack. So the Capitol Police force has had to demand large amounts of overtime from their officers to fill the places of these other officers not on duty for medical and other reasons.

As the Senate Appropriations Chair, Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), said Friday, July 9, “without action the Capitol Police will go without payment for the hours of overtime they have incurred, without proper equipment, and without sufficient mental health services to deal with the continued trauma from that day.” This is not off in the distance. House appropriators noted that the salaries account for the Capitol Police would be exhausted in August.

“At that point,” said the House appropriators, “the department will be forced into an unacceptable choice: furloughing officers or forgoing the services, like mental health and wellness support, that officers need.”

Every single House Republican who voted on the House supplemental appropriation to cover these Capitol costs, voted “no.” On the Senate side, there was a hostile silence for a long time.  

Quote:Senator Richard Shelby, the top Republican on the Senate Appropriations Committee, finally proposed a supplemental appropriation bill smaller than the Democrats in the House or Senate. It does provide money for the Capitol Police salaries. However, it allocated far less funding to the Architect of the Capitol, and none for the National Park Service. Apparently, Senate Republicans are proposing to release the funding being withheld for the Capitol Police, but only in return for dropping the projects (of the Architect, and of the Park Service) to harden the security of the Capitol.

Senator Shelby said “We should pass now what we all agree on: the Capitol Police and National Guard are running out of money, the clock is ticking, and we need to take care of them.” He indicated that projects to defend the Capitol were in a lesser category.

The GOP in the house are literally playing with the funding of the capitol police.

But because "the left" said some bad stuff and hurt people's feelings it will get fluffed off some as "garbage".

Heck, I get lumped in with the "defund the police" narrative for some reason when I'm defending them getting funded.

The issue on the board will always be one person have a personal and emotional response to me not matter what the facts are and coming back with the same boring tropes and "insults" but not caring about the facts.

But it's no skin off my nose.  I'm over it.  Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Capitol Hearings: Competing Narratives - GMDino - 08-03-2021, 11:42 AM