Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Bengals offense continues to struggle / Reiff hurt
(08-03-2021, 09:04 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Patrick Mahomes threw 3 picks in practice yesterday. Calm. Down.

Thank you.  Although "The Clapp" stole this thread already with his comment about how he bet Sewell could have generated separation,  Hilarious, I am actually one that is encouraged by this news.  

To clarify, I am encouraged by the news that the defense has been described as "dominant", not that the offense is struggling or that anyone got hobbled.

Looking at this team as objectively as I can, I don't see any way this offense won't be a top 10 offense.  People will argue the line, but I will point to how the line performed down the stretch once XSF was back and Spain was at the opposite guard.  They didn't even have Jonah playing nor had they acquired Riley Reiff.  Carman will be a strong addition as well.  

Outside the understandable question mark on the offensive line, I have full optimism that this offense will be a really good unit.  The defense, though, is a whole other matter.  

An entirely new starting three at CB.  Inexperienced youth at LB.  New starting DT and DE.  Lots of young drafted players being counted on for contributions (Ossai, Sample, Shelvin).  Then there is Lou Anarumo.  

However, this year was also the opportunity to create a culture.  To create a new, young, aggressive attitude.  No grumpy vets like Dunlap (and although I can't include Geno in that group...he is just too nice a guy) and no vets living on a past reputation (WJIII, Geno, Bynes).  It is a young, fast, aggressive group that fits what Anarumo wants to do.  His 5-2 hybrid that he seems to like so much just couldn't perform (so he didn't use it as often) with so many losses in the middle.  Now, they have a number of players that can rotate inside and still good talent with speed outside.  

The defense seems to have taken all this talk about the offense to heart and they have come out breathing fire.  They have leaders (Hubbard, Bates, Hilton) and they have chemistry.  Perhaps what is best out of all this is the offense will have to be VERY sharp to move the ball on them.  Iron sharpens iron.  Burrow and the boys won't tear a hold in the steeler defense (I mean, we lost Finley) without being very sharp and they simply don't get there pounding something as soft as a pillow.  Burrow is figuring out the holes again with new weapons and strong defensive play against them. 

This is a good thing, my friends.  Iron sharpen iron.  We have a young, aggressive defense with veteran leaders and youthful energy.  This is a good thing.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals offense continues to struggle / Reiff hurt - SHRacerX - 08-04-2021, 12:25 PM