Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Joe Burrow's stats from last year...
I think he had a pretty strong rookie season. If you look at only his stats I can see maybe being a little underwhelmed but there's plenty to be encouraged about.

His completion percentage for a rookie, and especially for what he was faced with, was really strong at 65%. That came playing behind a terrible OL and having to fit balls into a lot of tight windows where his receivers were often blanketed. He made a number of really tough throws. And even better news is he didn't turn the ball over a ton trying to squeeze balls into coverage.

I think where is rating suffers the most is lack of TD's. Obviously he's partly to blame for that but I also think Taylor is as well. I mean, let's be honest, Taylor has been a terrible play caller in the Red Zone. And that's occured with not only Joe, but Andy and Finley and Allen. Zac Taylor just hasn't been very good at dialing up plays inside the 20.

The other big problem is Burrow had no number "number 1" receiver last year. AJ Green was almost useless, yet they kept forcing throws to him. I don't care if it's Joe Montana or Aaron Rodgers back there, no QB was going to have a lot of success targeting AJ Green so much. Then throw in the fact he had no receiving option at TE, which is someone most QB's in modern football enjoy. It's not like he was left with a slew of weapons to choose from.

I think if he can keep that completion percentage where it's at, or hopefully even raise it a couple of points, and just starting hitting on some more stuff down the field then you'll see his number jump. If Chase can prove to be a decent down the field threat, if Uzomah can be an upgrade over Sample, if the OL can even marginally improve, and if Zac Taylor can do a little bit better with his playcalling, then I don't see any reason Burrow can't finish top half of the league in most stats. And none of this is really asking for the world either; it seems pretty reasonable as far as expectations go.

If for some reasons I'm wrong, and he ends year 2 in the bottom half, then that should be the nail in the coffin for Taylor. You can't continue to waste time with this kid's career. There is absolutely no reason he shouldn't make a jump in year 2, coming off an injury or not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Joe Burrow's stats from last year... - Wes Mantooth - 08-06-2021, 09:54 AM