Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Joe Burrow's stats from last year...
(08-08-2021, 01:54 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: *Sorry, i had a bunch of other stuff typed out, but i'm just not feeling the Burrow vs Dalton debate anymore. My following statement is the only original thing left of what i typed.

I'm not trying to argue with you. In this thread, i'm just saying that Burrow is a more talented QB and i don't get how anyone can debate that. A full season with a moderate amount of health will bear that out. 

I wasn't looking for an argument either. I'm more fascinated by how much the league has changed in just a decade than anything else.

(08-08-2021, 02:53 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, even when you account for era and comparisons versus peers, Burrow clearly demonstrated more in his rookie season, especially when you consider how much more Burrow had on his plate than Dalton, and the overall situations of the 2.

When you look at per game averages, Burrow was asked to throw the ball the 3rd most of any QB last year, and also completed the 3rd most passes per game. He also ranked 10th in passing yards per game. Andy was near the bottom in all 3 areas in 2011...and was not asked to drop back an insane amount during his rookie year.

Dalton also had a veteran head coach, a veteran backup QB to get advice from, an explosive AJ Green and an o-line that ranked 13th on the season. Burrow had none of that and still put up better overall performances. 

Everyone will have their opinions of course, and I was always an Andy supporter, but the evidence isn't even debatable as far as I can see, when it comes to who had a more impactful rookie season in terms of play. Now, Andy won more games obviously and deserves credit for that, but the surrounding circumstances and him not having too much put on his shoulders, played a big part. 

I'm willing to admit that there's an argument for either, but to say either season is "clearly" better is a stretch. You bring up the difficulties that Burrow had to deal with (Covid, etc) but Dalton didn't even get a playbook until preseason due to the lockout. Was Burrow's sitch tougher? Debatable.

Statistically - judged against peers - Dalton's season was better. You can debate that the offense was overall better, and I'd concede that. I trust Jay more than Taylor. Green was obviously better. The line was obviously better. Burrow had a far better WRs other than Green though, and a better receiving RB.

I'd still give the edge to Dalton as far as talent around them, but again...Dalton had the slightly better season, going off of most metrics (rating, TD%, YPA, etc) compared to his peers. 

This year should be very telling about Burrow's future. He's got more weapons around him than any Dalton year except (maybe) 2015. Only things I don't trust are the line and more importantly the offensive system/play calling. I think Burrow will be better than Dalton ever was, talent-wise. It's on everything else, as to whether or not he reaches his potential.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Joe Burrow's stats from last year... - Shake n Blake - 08-08-2021, 05:50 PM