Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Jackson Carman At Bottom Of Depth Chart
(08-13-2021, 12:41 AM)Whatever Wrote: I think Sewell will develop into a good player and would have had no issue if he(or Pitts) was our pick.  I said numerous times that he has Ogden type potential.  That said, I do feel that he's a guy that will take a year or two to develop and he wasn't a guy that was going to come in and be a quality starter as a rookie like some presented him as.

It's just funny that when you read about the struggles Sewell has had in TC the media is mostly positive because they are typical issues rookies have.  However, when you read about Chase or Carman struggling, certain Bengals beat writers and fans try to spin it as if they were bad picks, even though the guy they wanted is going through arguably worse struggles.  

It's too early to write any rookie off for the year, let alone their career.  

Well,  the Chase pick is easy for people to rag on because I'd wager the average non-Bengals fan has Burrow being beaten to a pulp behind a lousy line and being carted off the field as their most recent memory of the team.  I get it....from an outside perspective it's pretty simple.

Keep in mind, Barry Sanders retired over two decades ago and people still talk about how extra insane he would have been if he had Emmitt Smith's o-line.  Maybe a Lions fan can tell you how they needed a QB and some WRs to take focus off of stopping the run, but from the outside looking in, yea that o-line stuff makes sense.

Anyways, no one (logical) is writing off Chase right now.  Personally, I know we can't judge Chase vs Sewell until X amount of years go by, and even then we can't go back in time and switch players to prove anything.  What I do know is that if you went back to that moment when we were watching Burrow get carted off the field and you said "We need to take a WR with our top 5 pick" you would have been booed out of the room.

But the bottom line is I completely understand why the outside world thinks we are nuts for focusing on a shiny new toy after watching what happened to Burrow in 2020.  It's an overly-simplistic take, but I get it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jackson Carman At Bottom Of Depth Chart - Nately120 - 08-13-2021, 01:20 AM