Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tampa Bay potential weather issues
(08-12-2021, 03:28 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: In Ontario, we have every species you guys have, I believe, except for the uncommon Trout species (Cutthroat, Bull).

This weekend, we're going to our favourite lake for the first time this year (we used to rent a cottage at the same resort, for 8 years straight, then they sold the land to a private owner Sad) and they literally have:

- Largemouth Bass
- Smallmouth Bass
- Northern Pike
- Muskellunge
- Walleye
- Yellow Perch
- Lake Trout
- Pumpkinseed
- Bluegill
- Rock Bass
- (probably) Spotted Gar (super-hard to catch and rare, but they live within the water system, so they potentially have a presence)
- (potentially) Bowfin (same as above, but whereas Gar have been seen in the lake, Bowfin never have)
- (potentially) White Sucker

It's somewhat of a Unicorn Lake, in that it is one of the few unpopular lakes in Southern Ontario (and one of the few in the Muskoka region, north of Toronto), to have both Pike and Muskie; Pike have invaded the Kawarthas and are making their way through those popular lakes (the Kawartha region is East of Toronto and the most popular lake/fishing region in Southern Ontario), otherwise the Kawarthas were strictly Muskie only for decades.

They're able to live in harmony in Muskoka, due to coming from the Great Lakes and their ecosystem has been established and stabilised, for over a century. In the Kawarthas, however, the Pike that have invaded come from the Trent River system, which spawn (on average) 2-3 weeks earlier than Muskie do and Pike grow faster as well, thus the Muskie fry usually get eaten up before they can reach any semblance of maturity (thus we may see Muskie disappear from the Kawarthas within the next 100 years or so).

Sorry for the essay, Nate lol, but I love my fishing. I'll post some pics in Klotsch of where I went in July Wink

A friend in college took me to her folks cabin in Laclosh Lake (sp?).  I remember it being a good 8 hours north of BGSU, so it was up there.  We caught almost all pike and ate them that night.  Absolutely amazing.  Beautiful area. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Tampa Bay potential weather issues - pally - 08-12-2021, 01:29 PM
RE: Tampa Bay potential weather issues - SHRacerX - 08-13-2021, 09:07 AM