Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Props to Zac Taylor for Play Calling
(08-15-2021, 12:02 PM)bonesaw Wrote: Some nice play designs in there. He doesn't throw the ball downfield much though. I've heard someone call it a popgun offense and yeah it still looks like that. Some deep completions would be nice and open up more in the run and underneath game.

With Brandon Allen or Kyle Shurmur behind center you WANT a “popgun offense.” Those two have zero business trying to complete a 40 yard bomb. Now when Joe Burrow gets back into the game then sure, let’s push the ball downfield more often but, until then, let’s run first and throw short passes, screens, and slants only when necessary.

Last night’s emphasis on the run made me feel so much better because it takes pressure off Joe Burrow and he will not have to return until he is 100% able. It appears the coaching staff has made the smart decision to build the offense around Allen and Shurmur’s strengths. This reminds me of many years ago when Greg Cook went down and Paul Brown had to retool the offense around Virgil Carter and his uncanny ability to complete short passes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Props to Zac Taylor for Play Calling - Fan_in_Kettering - 08-15-2021, 12:23 PM