Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jamal Adams extended...Bates next?
(08-18-2021, 02:05 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: By PFF.

He wasn't regarded the best safety by the All-Pro teams, and he wasn't regarded the best safety by NFL players (top-100).

A couple people were praising AV earlier in the thread. He didn't lead safeties in AV, and there's been a lot of safeties who have had better seasons according to that in the last 2 years than Bates did in 2020.

He's absolutely earned a new contract. Never said he didn't. I said he hasn't earned a top contract. If he wants a $10-12m/yr deal (still top-10 money), by all means, give it to him. I just think if he wants to be paid like an top-3 safety at $15-17m/yr, he's not there yet.

Don't let the fact that he wears a Bengals jersey cloud your objective judgement.

Tagging him twice will be much cheaper regardless of the FA class if he wants Jamal Adams money. It was $10.6m for Safeties in 2021. Add 20% for the second year and that's $12.7m in 2023.

So no, extending him now at his demands of elite S money is not going to be cheaper than ~$23.3m over the next two years. It would have to jump $7-11m to make that true, and it won't.

Exactly. I've never seen so many people so eager to overpay a player. Bates deserves a new contract, but he is not a 17 million dollar a year player yet.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Jamal Adams extended...Bates next? - pally - 08-17-2021, 03:04 PM
RE: Jamal Adams extended...Bates next? - Sled21 - 08-18-2021, 08:10 AM