Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teven Jenkins to have Back Surgery (Relevant to Bengals draft strategy)
(08-18-2021, 12:40 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: The criticism of the move (trade down) was that we needed to upgrade the OL immediately to protect Burrow, and in that respect, we failed to do that because:  

1) There were better prospects available than Carman, who we are swiching firm OT to G, who could contribute sooner (Eichenberg, Jenkins, Banks, Little, Cosmi, Radunz, Humphrey, Mayfield, etc).

2) The extra picks we got (Shelvin & Smith) were not likely to help much right away. Smith because he had some development to do, and Shelvin because he has Reader & Tupou ahead of him.  

3) At the time of the selection, taking another OT (much less two) when OG or C seemed the area of greatest need.
--------------  

I admit, I was in camp Sewell, and critical of the trade down. Not that I dislike Chase, Carman, Sample, Smith, and Shelvin as players, but because I though immediate OL help was (and is) priority #1.  Our FA strategy was also disappointing regarding the OL. Reiff is good, but I think we should have been more aggressive.

Jenkins getting hurt does not necessarily validate our strategy. Though it certainly validates our decision NOT to select him. No immediate OL help from him.  

Our strategy to be satified with Reiff, Pollack, Carman, & Smith as the OL upgrade pack (& Hill) is still an open question. I mean, glowing training camp reviews are something I do not put much stock in. Recall Jordan & Price last year. Spain & Jordan still look like the OG starters. Carman is #3 at RG. Fred Johnson is one snap from playing OT.

Anyway, color me still skeptical. Though I will admit, there are some bright spots. Pollack looks to have helped the existing guys some, and Smith looks closer to contributing in year 1 than I thought.  

Still, an ability to run the ball (vs starters) or actually throw with something other than a 3 step drop is gonna have to be shown before I change my mind.

A lot of those guys that you named are better fits at tackle.  I was hoping we would take Banks at that spot since we needed a true OG and I thought he could come in and play right way.  The other guys all seemed like longer term guys that would eventually step in at RT.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Teven Jenkins to have Back Surgery (Relevant to Bengals draft strategy) - Hammerstripes - 08-20-2021, 01:49 PM