Poll: who to start?
Start current best 5
Start potential best 5
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
O-line: start the five best now or the five with the best potential?
(08-20-2021, 03:31 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I have a buddy who coached at the NCAA level and is now a HS coach at a big school down in Texas. I was asking him some questions regarding the NFL and he had some interesting talking points.

His take was that every single coach in the NFL “know their shit” and are fantastic coaches. What determines how good a coach is is their personnel, ability to build a culture/good rapport with players and ability to adjust mid game. He also mentioned how easily your scheme is understood and digested by players.

He mentioned that the NFL is such a win now league that many coaches don’t get the time necessary to see whether or not someone pans out. He also said that at the end of the day “Jon’s and Joe’s win games.” Now, he isn’t an NFL coach but he has significant coaching experience between the NCAA and big time Texas football (basically college football) and I thought this was an interesting take that I never really thought about. Aside from personnel, the biggest things a coordinator deals with is whether your players like you or not and whether you can adjust on the fly.

The reason I bring all of this up is because it got me thinking about Cincinnati and the reports of certain defensive players not getting along with Lou, the opinion around Turner and overall lack of talent the team has had and it made sense. He also mentioned that something that new coaches do early on is build their culture and anyone who doesn’t fit or like it, they’re canned. That got me thinking about Dunlap.

Hopefully with the talent infusion, return of Pollack and maybe a change in approach by Lou will see some better results.

This post isn't getting enough attention.

That is a GREAT POV and yes, your buddy's pedigree is more-than sufficient to make that call (especially if you follow Ben Baby).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: O-line: start the five best now or the five with the best potential? - Truck_1_0_1_ - 08-20-2021, 06:46 PM