Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shark Fishing in Nova Scotia
(08-23-2021, 03:41 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: So beautiful!

And I DESPERATELY want to go mircofishing for those same species (Chub as well, Shiners, etc.) but I have absolutely no places I know I can go (I just don't know, not that they don't exist). I have all the equipment as well, what should I look for location-wise, IYO?

So, I'm the weird guy that will fish any puddle or small stream I can find. In my car is a crate with everything I need to fly fish, including a tenkara rod and a seiryu rod (seiryu is where tenkara and microfishing meet), and also some tanago gear. I just happen to live somewhere that has tons of running water. I have spring fed streams EVERYWHERE. There is a stream that runs through my town called Blacks Run. It is a very urban waterway that runs under buildings, next to parking lots and decks, etc. It is not uncommon to find me sitting on the edge of that stream pulling out the micros that live in there. But, I also fish for micros in those same clear mountain streams.

This was my first microfish, a Blue Ridge sculpin:
[Image: eYFnUe8.jpg]

Caught it on a fly rod while fishing for brookies. If there is a stream with life in it, then fish it (if it's legal).

(08-23-2021, 10:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I live in Brookie country and still haven't caught me one DAMMITT!

That stream is one of the most densely populated native brook trout streams in the mid-Atlantic. It is below an impoundment so the water flow is pretty steady both in volume and temperature. And it's about 20 min from my house. I'm getting to know that stream inside and out, and it's wonderful. Don't get me wrong, I have a world famous spring creek about the same distance away that has some feisty browns in it, and I have a TU maintained spring creek that has some killer rainbow fishing. I also have the South Fork of the Shenandoah River which has some killer smallmouth fishing and on a good float I can land 100+ in a day. But mountain stream brook trout fishing is where my heart lies. I have streams to the west in the George Washington National Forest and streams to the east in the Shenandoah National Park. I know lots of people hype up the fishing out west, or they are big salt fans, but I feel like I live in a fishing Mecca.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Shark Fishing in Nova Scotia - Sled21 - 08-15-2021, 02:43 PM
RE: Shark Fishing in Nova Scotia - Belsnickel - 08-24-2021, 07:46 AM
RE: Shark Fishing in Nova Scotia - Sled21 - 08-27-2021, 11:25 AM
RE: Shark Fishing in Nova Scotia - samhain - 09-03-2021, 11:05 AM
RE: Shark Fishing in Nova Scotia - Sled21 - 08-27-2021, 11:35 AM