Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Billy Price Is Rocketing Up The Depth Chart!
(08-27-2021, 12:13 PM)TJ528 Wrote: So are you saying the personnel just weren't good players?  I mean when Lou came in there were still some damn good pieces on that defense left over but the highest he's finished in total defense is the mid-20's.  

So everyone's said he had to bring players in that fit his system.  From my understanding Lou's system is mostly a zone defense.  So i would say that differs from say a Mike Zimmer defense where he plays a lot of man defense. 

Jon’s and Joe’s win games, yeah. From a coaching standpoint, you can have a scheme that is too difficult to digest and that can cause some issues. You also have to be able to develop rapport with your players. If they like you, they’re going to play hard for you and be more receptive to what you’re doing. If they don’t like you, they aren’t going to be receptive to what your game plan is etc.

Zimmer actually doesn’t play a bunch of man defense. In 2018, the Vikings ran man coverage on 41% of snaps, zone on 59%. I’m not sure what their numbers were in 2016 but no team in the NFL ran man coverage for more than 50% of their snaps and the Vikings still weren’t in the top five. These numbers are available from PFF and Sports Info Solutions. I’m parsing together the hard numbers from both websites on free articles that are provided, so I can’t check 2020 numbers but there is no reason to think that this trend has changed much.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Billy Price Is Rocketing Up The Depth Chart! - KillerGoose - 08-27-2021, 12:21 PM