Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How SHOULD Chase be used in the offense?
(09-01-2021, 08:13 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I think a lot of that has to do with Zac Taylor's offense.  He uses a ton of underneath stuff and stuff outside the hash marks and to the sideline.   It's almost like he scared to use the middle of the field beyond 10 yards a lot unless he's calling something over the top the of the secondary or to the sideline.

I did not watch the preseason at all so I'm not sure what the plays you're referring to looked like.  But one of my biggest complaints with Taylor is that I've never seen a team have their receivers blanketed more.  Some of the windows Burrow was forced to squeeze throws into were amazing.  And I don't think it's as simple as guys not getting seperation.  I've seen teams with really piss poor WR's get more open. 

It's like he has no idea how to exploit a zone or call plays that create space.  Hell, there's been quite a few times where our receivers will end up damn near in the same spot, within only a few yards of eachother.  Or maybe it's as simple as the DC's knowing exactly what is going to do.

Fwiw, take this all with a huge grain of salt.  I'm far from an expert, and like I said, I watched none of the preseason so I don't even know what exactly you saw.  But I'm going to be very curious to see if Taylor can figure out to use Chase.  In his first two years it sure seems to be like he's struggled mightily in playcalling.  Hell, look at Burrow's YPA or YPC (yards per attempt, yards per completion).  They were pretty low and almost identical to Tua, who the Dolphins looked scared to death to let him let loose. 

I have noticed the same weird thing - it's like he is afraid to get his QB unwind and really play. 

The preseason plays were little tiny passes over the middle - very short and into traffic. And yes I have also noticed he does nothing to scheme his receivers open; and it is sad because that used to be a Bengals specialty over the years. Even in the lost decade OCs like Coslet and Anderson used scheme to create favorable matchups. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How SHOULD Chase be used in the offense? - Joelist - 09-01-2021, 09:39 PM