Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to separate "talent" from "coaching"
(09-08-2021, 01:05 AM)tms Wrote: So then... you agree with me lol. Brady singlehandedly changed their fortunes. Pre-Brady, the Bucs weren't just a 7-win team coming off one bad year either. They had 7, before that 5, before that 5... the one winning season in the previous nine was 9-7 lol. Didn't exactly set the world on fire. Revisionist history notwithstanding, they were in molasses. 

If there ever was such thing as a "losing culture", TB were the poster boys for it right up until he came aboard. I mean, it's easy to look back now and say they were a potential champion slowed by one weakness. But no one was talking like that at the time. That "weakness" was a #1 overall pick in the prime of his career for whom many were still excited- despite the interceptions. In fact, his PFR Approximate Value in 2019 was equal to Brady's in 2020 (15)- again, despite the interceptions. It stands to reason that intangibles had a far more significant influence on the Bucs' outcomes than just one isolated statistic.

I'm just providing context. Pointing out their win totals and talking about "losing culture" is ignoring all the positive changes they made preceding Brady. The weapons exist, do they not? Was the defense not elite?

Essentially they were turned around with Arians, they just needed the QB. I believe ANY top notch QB would've had the Bucs in contention for a chip. Brady isn't a dummy. He saw the situation there.

Kinda reminds me of LeBron "going home" back in 2015. I guess you would've pointed out how the Cavs were terrible from the time Bron left to when he came back, but that would be ignoring that the Cavs had a young Kyrie Irving, Andrew Wiggins (trade bait) and several other good pieces.

In short, it was a great situation for Bron to land in, and he got all the credit for "turning it around", even though the turn around was already in motion.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to separate "talent" from "coaching" - Shake n Blake - 09-08-2021, 01:18 AM