Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to separate "talent" from "coaching"
(09-08-2021, 01:18 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm just providing context. Pointing out their win totals and talking about "losing culture" is ignoring all the positive changes they made preceding Brady. The weapons exist, do they not? Was the defense not elite?

Essentially they were turned around with Arians, they just needed the QB. I believe ANY top notch QB would've had the Bucs in contention for a chip. Brady isn't a dummy. He saw the situation there.

Kinda reminds me of LeBron "going home" back in 2015. I guess you would've pointed out how the Cavs were terrible from the time Bron left to when he came back, but that would be ignoring that the Cavs had a young Kyrie Irving, Andrew Wiggins (trade bait) and several other good pieces.

In short, it was a great situation for Bron to land in, and he got all the credit for "turning it around", even though the turn around was already in motion.

Meh I appreciate the effort but this analogy is not apt. Let's keep it to football. It's apples and oranges otherwise. The NBA is a superstar league. 5 players on the court at a time, with the cream of the crop playing 80% of the game and dominating play. Football is 11 v 11 with 3 distinct phases, each player with his own niche, 53-man rosters in total, and far more moving parts. It's historically accepted in basketball that one player can change a team. Nobody ever wondered whether prime Lebron could singlehandedly make his teams competitive in CLE > MIA > CLE > LAL- or singlehandedly leave them in tatters by walking away- because that's what NBA superstars do. It's not so simple in the NFL for all the above reasons and more.   

In fact, the original point was precisely that debate: whether Brady could replicate his football success without Belichick. Not only did he prove that he could, but he didn't even need to join a proven contender to do it. We can argue about how close the Bucs really were until we're blue in the face, but that's pure speculation. The results are clear. Roughly the same crew that had won 7 games the year before (and 17 over the previous 3) promptly became a freaking Super Bowl winner (something we have NEVER done) by adding just one major piece.

It's football, not basketball. It's Brady, not Lebron. Yet he managed to do it anyway... and at 43 years old to boot. It is remarkable.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to separate "talent" from "coaching" - tms - 09-08-2021, 02:16 AM