Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New passing metrics to consider "good"?
(09-10-2021, 05:36 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: I think the basic-level passing metric that can still be insightful is yards-per-attempt. That's also where Burrow struggled early last season and improved considerably as he progressed game-to-game. The raw counting statistics are more arbitrary and, as stated in the OP, balloon as the league changes.

The best quarterbacks could throw anywhere from 25 to 50 TDs in a 17 game season I think -- the more telling value is the number of interceptions (and thus the ratio between them). That also happened to be Burrow's most promising number as a rookie in my view: 5 INTs in ~10 games is very solid considering the number of pass attempts.

If Joe can finish 2021 at about 7.5+ YPA and a TD/INT ratio approaching or better than 30/10 we'll be cooking. It's all kind of arbitrary though.

This, TD/INT ratio along with completion percentage is how I judge QB's. If Joe can throw around 35-37 TD's along with around
10 Interceptions while completing around 68% of his passes we should be sitting pretty by the end of the season and would of 
most likely won a lot of games if the running game is also decent and of course the Defense being middle of the pack.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: New passing metrics to consider "good"? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 09-10-2021, 05:44 PM