Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Losing Close Games is a Bad Indicator
(09-22-2021, 09:48 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Hi Fred.  I repped both of your posts even though you disagree with me which is perfectly fine.  You’re a great poster and I admire your penchant for statistics.  However, I only truly care about one statistic: Wins.

It’s difficult to see the Bengals losing especially with such a talented roster; Marvin Lewis* would have led the Bengals to the playoffs again with this bunch.  This team isn’t nearly as loaded as the 2005, 2009, or 2011-2015 rosters but still.  The effort against the Bears was horrible on the offensive side of the ball until late in the fourth quarter.

You’re right about the much-improved defense as well.  Lou Anarumo added some key players and he’s the only coordinator who has improved his side of the ball.  Even so, the defense was sliced and diced by Andy Dalton** before he was injured.  If Andy had not had to leave the game the score wouldn’t have been so close.

Keep the statistics coming, Fred, and let’s hope statistical improvements translate into wins.

*No, this doesn’t mean I want Marvin back.  He got stale.
** No, this doesn’t mean I want Andy back.  The team needed to move on.

Even great teams lose games and/or come out flat sometimes.  I do think this offense has the potential to be as loaded as the ones you mentioned, just not sure if that's this year.  Our O weapons are still quite young.  I think the offense has also improved their roster, but we definitely have spent a lot of $ on defense, which I think we're seeing was the right call.  Imagine what our D looks like with Waynes in instead of Apple.  Fast D front and tight coverage will make for a fun Defense to watch give Burrow the ball back.  

I know folks are pretty down on losing to Chicago, I am too.  But it's one game.  Onto Pitt!
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Losing Close Games is a Bad Indicator - wildcatnku24 - 09-22-2021, 09:57 AM