Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When the Government aid is delayed
(11-10-2015, 11:46 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Last night at dinner my daughter said something awesome.

First a little bit about my daughter.  She is 10.  All through her life she has been more of an observer than a doer.  She walked late, and it seemed that it was mostly due to her complacency at sitting and watching everything around her.  She was not so compelled to leave her spot.  Whatever.  She walked and now plays on the Junior Tennis Team with the USTA.  She is pretty damn good.

She has also been obsessed with wheels.  Anything and everything with wheels.  The stroller, a toy fire truck, cars (omg cars).  She would line up every thing in the house that had wheels and move them one at a time all around the house.  To say the least we thought she was a bit odd...LOL.

As she got older and bigger so that she could see out of the window, her obsession with wheels was amplified....They were everywhere in the world.  She knows most every brand of car by site without needing to see the emblem.  Her tiny little head is glued to the window every trip we take, whether it's to school, tennis practice/matches, or vacations.  Her little quirk though opened her up to the world around her though, without her realizing it right away.  If you asked her 5 years ago what she was looking at, she would have told you trucks/cars.  Now she is looking at the world in total.

She can tell you how to get nearly anywhere in the greater Charleston area.  She seems to have a good mental compass and can easily remember how to get somewhere after only being there once.  She spends a lot of time observing.

This brings me to dinner last night.  We were eating and discussing out days and she says this.  "I would like to give something to homeless people this Christmas."  Now we usually give quite a bit to a couple of local charities that work with battered women, and I asked her if that is what she meant.  She said no.  She said for a long while she has seen a lady when she rides the bus from school to day care.  She said she has seen her most of the year and that she is always wearing the same clothing and sitting in the same spot.  We asked her if it was a bus stop and she told us the exact place she sees her.  It is not a bus stop.  

So I asked her what she was thinking about.  She said she wants us to take her to a store and buy her clothing, and that she wants us to you at least half of the money we would have spent on her.

This year I think we will add a service element to our charity as it seems this is what my daughter really wants.  Maybe at a food pantry or a soup kitchen.  Maybe even a Meals on Wheels...lol, that might blow her mind.

My youngest daughter is 10, also.  Last year she painted pictures and sold them to some of my coworkers so she could donate the money for cancer research.  I was blown away.  She has taken cooking classes at Trident Tech the past two summers and wanted to start her own baked goods company for the same reason.  She enlisted one of her friends.  It was hilarious watching those two discuss their business plan and the menu.  Sadly, they had to dissolve their business because they couldn't agree upon which cupcakes they were going to bake.

Messages In This Thread
RE: When the Government aid is delayed - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 11-10-2015, 01:05 PM