Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Burrow has been terrible...
Qb's are a tough beast and so I tend to go more so with my eye than ratings other than for more concrete occurrences. I mentioned in another thread, Burrow killed quite a lot of plays yesterday that got us into runs and allowed Mixon to get his 5.0 yards a carry. No stat is ever going to quantify that but it is something that is valuable and should be accounted for when looking at QB play.

His throwing has been mediocre this year in reality. He has missed high a decent amount on short and intermediate routes which I would attribute to hurried mechanics at times. His deep ball has been much better though and I think that can be attributed to the work he did in the offseason. While everyone will quickly go to Chase, he had a really good deep ball to Higgins week 1 that was a DPI but was spot on for accuracy downfield.

He at times has locked into receivers pre-snap which has allowed defenders to easily read his eyes and make plays. If there is one complaint from last year to this year for me it is he does not do a good enough job manipulating the defense with his eyes. This was what led to the game ending int against Indy last year off the top of my head and we have seen it a couple times this year, especially in CHI.

Now all that said, the good news is we finally saw him regain some of his mobility this week. Both on the scramble that was negated by the holding call and the check into the run play for 10 down in the red zone yesterday. I think he will improve the more he unlocks his mobility as it was one of his best assets last year and something that will open up a lot of those mid level throws he was so good at last year.

I haven't watched every QB in depth this year, I have watched a lot of them though, and I think he is playing at a mid tier level. I'd say he is maybe somewhere in the 15-20 range to this point. It isn't great but he is also still less than a year removed from a major knee injury. I would guess by the end of the year he will be knocking on the top 10 assuming he continues to make incremental improvements.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Joe Burrow has been terrible... - J24 - 09-27-2021, 02:52 PM
RE: Joe Burrow has been terrible... - Au165 - 09-27-2021, 03:19 PM