Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Burrow has been terrible...
(09-27-2021, 05:10 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It's abysmal enough that he's ranked 25th. A 41.5 QBR will rank near the bottom on any year you check. So I think you're looking at it all wrong.

His performance has not been "below average" even. It's been good.

Comp % - 9th
YPA - 9th
TDs - 5th
Passer rating - 10th

...and tbh that INT this week wasn't even that bad. Kinda fluky. Tight coverage. Ball was close but slightly off, got deflected way up in the air for the pick. It wasn't a dumb throw or waaay off or something.

Let me just be blunt. Do you think Burrow has had the 25th best performance this year?

Abysmal means terrible. A 41.5 rating on a 0-100 scale isn't terrible, it is below average. That's the scale that they have set. Abysmal is going to be Lawrence, Wilson and Fields. It's a matter of perspective. Truthfully, you rarely see an 'abysmal' QB get significant playtime in the NFL. I don't think any of those guys are going to stay THAT bad all season long. If they do, then those teams have major concerns. This leads into my answer for your question...

No, I don't. The problem with QBR, my QB rating and any of the others is sample size. It's week three and Burrow hasn't even attempted 100 passes yet. In fact, you missed one of his best stats in your list, and that is TD% (he's third). I think he was dynamite in week one, awful in week two and really good this weekend against the Steelers. I really think this weekend could be Joe's turning point for the season. He looked incredibly confident and poised after throwing that early pick, and I love it. If he follows that up with a big performance on Thursday, then this team could really be looking at a promising season.

At the end of the day, what QBR is trying to measure is QBs who give their teams the best chance of winning via their passing abilities. If you look at 2020, the combined W/L record of the Top 10 QBs is 118-42 (73%). The W/L record of the normal passer rating Top 10 is 102-58 (63%). Passing offense and passing defense rule today's game and that is why the stat even exists. It isn't perfect, but it does paint an arguably better picture than the standard passer rating due to the different weights it places on various metrics. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Joe Burrow has been terrible... - J24 - 09-27-2021, 02:52 PM
RE: Joe Burrow has been terrible... - KillerGoose - 09-27-2021, 05:55 PM