Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Burrow has been terrible...
(09-27-2021, 05:55 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Abysmal means terrible. A 41.5 rating on a 0-100 scale isn't terrible, it is below average. That's the scale that they have set. Abysmal is going to be Lawrence, Wilson and Fields. It's a matter of perspective. Truthfully, you rarely see an 'abysmal' QB get significant playtime in the NFL. I don't think any of those guys are going to stay THAT bad all season long. If they do, then those teams have major concerns. This leads into my answer for your question...

No, I don't. The problem with QBR, my QB rating and any of the others is sample size. It's week three and Burrow hasn't even attempted 100 passes yet. In fact, you missed one of his best stats in your list, and that is TD% (he's third). I think he was dynamite in week one, awful in week two and really good this weekend against the Steelers. I really think this weekend could be Joe's turning point for the season. He looked incredibly confident and poised after throwing that early pick, and I love it. If he follows that up with a big performance on Thursday, then this team could really be looking at a promising season.

At the end of the day, what QBR is trying to measure is QBs who give their teams the best chance of winning via their passing abilities. If you look at 2020, the combined W/L record of the Top 10 QBs is 118-42 (73%). The W/L record of the normal passer rating Top 10 is 102-58 (63%). Passing offense and passing defense rule today's game and that is why the stat even exists. It isn't perfect, but it does paint an arguably better picture than the standard passer rating due to the different weights it places on various metrics. 

I don't think any one stat is perfect by any stretch, but I prefer passer rating over QBR. Even though it's simpler, sometimes simpler is better. You don't see as many laughable rankings with passer rating as you do with QBR.

Such as Fitzpatrick being ranked ahead of Brees, Jackson, Wilson, Brady, Watson, etc last year.

Or Fitz being ranked 8th (with an 85.5 passer rating) in 2019, while Aaron Rodgers (95.4 passer rating) ranked 20th that same year.

Or how about Jay Cutler in 2013? He ranked 3rd with a 70.1 QBR, only 2 spots behind Peyton Manning, who threw for 36 more TDs and 2 fewer INTs...and yes, both played full seasons. I don't even want to list all the great QBs Cutler was supposedly better than that year, with his typical mediocre stats of 19 TDs to 12 picks.

That's the issue I have with QBR. You could pick any year and find something to laugh about.

That's really not the case as much with Passer Rating. If a guy posts a great (or terrible) rating, it almost always makes sense.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Joe Burrow has been terrible... - J24 - 09-27-2021, 02:52 PM
RE: Joe Burrow has been terrible... - Shake n Blake - 09-27-2021, 06:52 PM