Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Burrow has been terrible...
(09-27-2021, 06:52 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't think any one stat is perfect by any stretch, but I prefer passer rating over QBR. Even though it's simpler, sometimes simpler is better. You don't see as many laughable rankings with passer rating as you do with QBR.

Such as Fitzpatrick being ranked ahead of Brees, Jackson, Wilson, Brady, Watson, etc last year.

Or Fitz being ranked 8th (with an 85.5 passer rating) in 2019, while Aaron Rodgers (95.4 passer rating) ranked 20th that same year.

Or how about Jay Cutler in 2013? He ranked 3rd with a 70.1 QBR, only 2 spots behind Peyton Manning, who threw for 36 more TDs and 2 fewer INTs...and yes, both played full seasons. I don't even want to list all the great QBs Cutler was supposedly better than that year, with his typical mediocre stats of 19 TDs to 12 picks.

That's the issue I have with QBR. You could pick any year and find something to laugh about.

That's really not the case as much with Passer Rating. If a guy posts a great (or terrible) rating, it almost always makes sense.

And all of those are fair critiques. As a matter of fact, I 100% agree with you on the Cutler/Manning point particularly. That’s an absolute joke. As someone who is interested in the analytics community, if I had developed a metric that had Cutler even near Manning that season, I would seriously question what I had just developed. Data will certainly spit out unexpected results sometimes, but that’s just egregious.

As far as I know, they have never released the formula for QBR which certainly doesn’t help move past some of its dubious rankings.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Joe Burrow has been terrible... - J24 - 09-27-2021, 02:52 PM
RE: Joe Burrow has been terrible... - KillerGoose - 09-27-2021, 07:51 PM