Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are we looking at Brady vs Belichick all wrong?
(10-03-2021, 02:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Most will just look at the fact that Tom won 6 rings in New England, then look at how he won another in his first year in Tampa (while the Pats struggled), and come to the conclusion that "welp...it must've been Brady all along".

That sounds reasonable on the surface...but what if we look a little more deeply at this?

The Patriots obviously had a great coach for all of Brady's time in New England. Not just a great HC, but many coordinators who were promoted to HC jobs elsewhere. Often on the defensive side of the ball.

Despite how some think Brady carried the Pats on his back, the team had an embarrassment of talent over his 20 years there.

Vince Wilfork, Richard Seymour, Asante Samuel, Darrelle Revis, Corey Dillon, Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Teddy Bruschi, Rodney Harrison, Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, Deion Branch, Willie McGinest, Julian Edelman, Ron Gronkowski, Junior Seau, Adam Vinitieri, etc etc

Because the talent around him always changed through the years, people forget all these players and focus on the 2 constants: Brady and Bill...but all these players contributed heavily to the success.

------------------

Basically, my theory is this: Brady is and always has been an elite QB and an all-time great, but he was also in an all-time great scenario, with outstanding coaching, top 10 (often top 5) defenses for every championship, he always had great skill position players, not to mention 2 of the best and most clutch kickers of all-time.

When that well started to dry up a couple years ago (and Brady was throwing picks on the way to a first round exit), Brady decided to pull a LeBron James. Meaning he left a situation that was starting to fall apart, scoped out a "bad" team that had a lot of talent/assets, but just needed a QB, and bam...wins another ring.

This whole scenario added a lot to the legend of Tom Brady, and in some ways rightfully so...but I can't help but notice that this was a pretty crafty move by Tom. The Bucs were a ready-made team, loaded with talent and a good coach. Add in an elite QB, and it was easy to see they'd be contenders... and of course Tom would be viewed as the sole reason for them winning.

--------------

Now this isn't me hating on Brady. Again, I think he's a legend and an all-time great. Due to his resume, you have to say he's the best ever. But deep down I wonder how many rings Peyton or Rodgers would have with 20 years of Belichick and all that talent. Or 1 year with the receivers and defense in Tampa with Arians.

thing with brady is he isnt the most naturally gifted guy out there... Hes just the hardest working.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are we looking at Brady vs Belichick all wrong? - XenoMorph - 10-04-2021, 11:40 AM