Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
If Zac Taylor doesn't evolve, Joe Burrow and the Bengals' 2021 season is already over
(10-12-2021, 01:26 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: This has been among my biggest criticisms against the Bengals playcalling this year. They are supremely predictable. If they come out in shotgun, it's almost always a pass. This is further exacerbated by the empty sets, which the defense knows for sure is a pass. When they come out with Joe under center, it's almost always a run. The stat here is that 80% of the time he is under center they run. I wouldn't be surprised if at least half of that other 20% is play action.

So you are probably looking at only 10% of the time does Burrow come out under center and just throws the ball without PA.

It's gotten to the point where I bet the defense is 95% sure it is a run or a pass purely based on the formation. And that is really really bad for an offense.

Which may explain why they struggle so much on 3rd and short. One of the offense's biggest advantages on 3rd and short is the whole playbook is open. The defense has to respect, essentially, any play call is possible. But if your formation gives away whether it's a pass or a run, that immediately cuts the defenses' concerns in half.

I like what the article says about bunch formations. I hadn't really thought about the advantage it gives to players getting a free release. I really hope we implement more of them.

Of course, I really hope the ultimate solution is that we fire Zac Taylor at the end of the season
or at least take away his playcalling duties. Even if we're moderately successful. We've seen all he has in his playbook. Time to get someone who knows how to create an offense around an elite, young QB, an elite set of WRs and a really good RB.

A lot of people don't realize that this is the last year of ZTs contract, no need to fire him...just don't extend him. If he doesn't make the playoffs this year he's most likely out. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: If Zac Taylor doesn't evolve, Joe Burrow and the Bengals' 2021 season is already over - WeezyBengal - 10-12-2021, 01:44 PM
RE: If Zac Taylor doesn't evolve - Synric - 10-13-2021, 08:15 PM