Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fallout of a Regime Change
Lots to digest here. And overall, I agree. Was having this conversation yesterday with a colleague.

I liked Marvin Lewis...still do. But, he liked "troubled" personalities (just look at his love of Ray Lewis). Talent out the posterior, but troubled nonetheless....PacMan, Vontaze, Chris Henry, etc. That sometimes lent itself to a certain type of team chemistry, and not always in a good way. I think that's what Carson became upset about. He didn't care for Chad's antics. He just wanted to play football. Forget about the "who can't cover me list". I still remember Palmer ripping the "HOF" sign off of Chad's jacket during the game.

But,, they were all Marvin's guys. That's what he wanted. Marvin got us close. But eventually (moreso towards the last couple of hears he was here), those "personalities" were his undoing. The NFL changed. Marvin didn't. Burfict always said his hits would have been legal 10 years ago. True. But, he wasn't playing in the NFL then. So, you play by the current rules, which he just couldn't/wouldn't do. Burfict and PacMan would be kicked out of every game if they played today. No taunting. No hits above the shoulders. No spearing. Etc. Love it or hate it, that's today's game. You either play by the rules, or find the door.

Chad didn't consider himself a football player. He considered himself an entertainer.

Fast forward to Taylor's tenure so far. Right now, everyone's happy. 6 months ago, everybody wanted to hang him for not drafting Sewell. Now, Zak is considered a genius.

I do believe that Burrow is indeed the leader of this club, on the field, in the clubhouse, in the media. Carson never seemed comfortable in that way. He was a supremely talented QB...moreso than Burrow. Burrow is more of a leader.

You put all the other pieces in place, free agency signings, coaching (remember Frank Pollack was not retained under Zak who brought in Jim Turner instead....disaster) and Taylor looks like the genius the Brown family thought they were getting. Give Zak credit, he got Mike Brown to open up the wallet for the big money free agents (instead of MB looking for bargain, past their prim, players to sign). Zak got MB to ship out draft duds, regardless of how much the team had invested into them (I just saw Cedric Ogbuehi was even cut by Seattle recently).

Marvin liked holding onto his "guys" past their prime. Zak appears to let them go, if he deems them to be less useful to the team.

We're all dancing right now. That includes me. I try to temper that. I hope Burrow does not get hurt again. When Chase starts getting triple teamed, how will he respond. What will Mixon do if Zak goes out and drafts a new RB, probably next season? Will he still be a team player? Or, will he grumble in the locker room? Can Zak keep this "new attitude" intact over the long haul? What happens to the team if Anarumo and/or Callahan leave for the inevitable HC decisions they'll inevitably be interviewed for if thing continue well for the Bengals.

I hope when the inevitable "down stretch" happens (and it will...it happens to every team...Steelers are in the throws of a rebuild, and not in good shape for it).

Still, happy now. I hope to enjoy this for a long time. I like our main players. I hope we continue to get better, and get to the outcome we all have been waiting so long for.

I kinda believe the corny corny tag line of it's a "New-Day"!
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Fallout of a Regime Change - Stewy - 10-25-2021, 05:13 PM
RE: Fallout of a Regime Change - SHRacerX - 10-25-2021, 09:04 PM
RE: Fallout of a Regime Change - TheFan - 10-25-2021, 06:17 PM
RE: Fallout of a Regime Change - Stewy - 10-26-2021, 10:44 AM
RE: Fallout of a Regime Change - Cicero - 10-25-2021, 06:18 PM
RE: Fallout of a Regime Change - HarleyDog - 10-25-2021, 07:52 PM
RE: Fallout of a Regime Change - jason - 10-25-2021, 09:06 PM
RE: Fallout of a Regime Change - jason - 10-25-2021, 06:47 PM
RE: Fallout of a Regime Change - fredtoast - 10-25-2021, 07:06 PM
RE: Fallout of a Regime Change - Synric - 10-25-2021, 11:57 PM