Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Virginia/New Jersey Governor races
(11-03-2021, 12:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The whole "shoot the progressives" notion is pretty bizarre seeing as it is going to generally involve a lot of armed men shooting and killing unarmed women.  

How very Christian of people to get excited at the notion.  Also, I went to a school and a college where the Bible was taught....maybe people who insist the Bible be part of school should show some damn initiative and quit being cheap and relying on the government.

(11-03-2021, 02:40 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Honestly, I almost ignored this race entirely. I don't even know what tiki torch stunt you're talking about. But I'm also one of those that votes on stated policy positions and not the dog-and-pony show that is political theater. But yes, the Lincoln Project is a shit organization and I have been warning those around me on the left of them from the beginning. They had some funny memes and they did some good work, but they aren't our friends.

Yup. So, you have the urban areas of NOVA, Richmond, and a good chunk of the tidewater areas that run blue, and the rest of the state runs red. But the suburb areas around those cities can be swayed. It is 100% an urban and rural divide in this state with suburbs being that "no-man's-land."

Honestly, I'm ready for a complete overhaul of our education system in general. But in the meantime, it is tough here in Virginia where we have a history that is so drenched in racial issues. It's hard to teach about the first slaves landing here in 1619 and the way in which the idea of "whiteness" and "blackness" were cultivated almost entirely to justify the chattel slavery that was kicked off during that century without really getting into that. Living in rural Virginia as I do, I will say that a lot of the time people tend to have a problem with something a teacher did when they really didn't go overboard. I've seen it here so often. We have people disrupting school board meetings in the county, here, over an issue that isn't even happening in their schools. They just want to be outraged over something and the astroturfing by Koch organizations is usually the reason for it.

Pfft. Our state Democrats responded to learning the lesson about ignoring rural Democratic voters by completely shutting out rural Democrats from leadership in the party.

I saw a tweet this morning that women who never went to college voted something like 75% republican yesterday.

I also saw a video that said the last time a VA Governor won a second term he won the first as a Democrat and the second as a republican.

Here's the info on that one:

Quote:Mills Godwin, a segregationist and holdout from the Byrd machine, was the only governor to be popularly elected twice: first as a Democrat in 1966, then again as a Republican in 1974, with Republican Linwood Holton sandwiched in between.

In his first term, Godwin was able to establish the state’s community college system and pass a new sales tax. He faced stiffer economic headwinds in his second term, according to Sabato.

“In the ‘70s the economy was terrible when he was serving,” Sabato said. “So he had a very different set of problems, and had to worry about cutting in the 1970s.”

William “Extra Billy” Smith also served two terms that straddled the 1851 constitution. He was selected by the legislature in 1846 and later elected as Virginia's last Confedereate governor in 1864.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Virginia/New Jersey Governor races - GMDino - 11-03-2021, 04:09 PM