Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds willing to discuss trading Castillo
(11-10-2021, 06:10 PM)samhain Wrote: Castillo is at least a number 2.  He's a solid one without the rocky start.  Plus he's 28 with virtually no injury history and 2 years left at a manageable salary.  That's a guy that someone will pay for.  Rumor is the Mariners are interested, and that farm system is juiced to the gills.  

I think Winker's offensive value is going to get them something useful.  My view on their next year of any real possibility of contending is 2024.  Greene, Lodolo, and Ashcraft should all be in the majors by then, and the salaries of Votto, Suarez, and Moustakas will all be off the books.  Winker will have one year left on his deal by then, which is only going to go up with each year of arbitration.  

If they aren't going to be serious about winning this year, then there's no reason not to dump any player that can get value in return.  Winker, Castillo, maybe a ham sandwich for Gray.  Anyone not names Stephenson or India should be up for discussion.

Disagree Castillo is a #2.  He is just too inconsistent, at this point in his career.  I don't think its worth it to resign him for what the market will ask for him, so now is the time to trade him. 

I do agree that 2022 is not a year in which they will be a playoff type team.  Unless its a complete redo of the roster, and I dont think that is needed either, it is just a year they need to ride out.  The pieces they have have proven they are not playoff caliber.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reds willing to discuss trading Castillo - plantmanky - 11-11-2021, 03:20 PM