Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Props to Zac Taylor for Play Calling
(11-22-2021, 04:45 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I get what you were saying about the run/pass ratio earlier and I appreciate the opportunity to clarify something. I’m known on here as a defense guy who loves a run-first offense BUT if the run is NOT working I’m ALL for passing to get the job done. Sometimes the opposing defense frustrates even the best offensive game plan — and the best coaches adjust.

Let’s go back to yesterday’s game. At first, neither the pass nor the run was working; Joe Mixon was getting stuffed like a Thanksgiving turkey in the backfield. Joe Burrow was pressured way too much when passing and, combined with respectable coverage by the Raiders’ secondary, passing became too risky.

When neither the pass nor the run work, the play caller has to make a decision: Which has the greatest probability of success? Run? Pass?

If you’re Cincinnati it’s best to pick the run this year. It’s easier for the offensive line to adjust to run blocking mode and receivers aren’t under pressure to get open.

It’s probably safer to choose the run, but you’re generally going to get less returns on the run. The best probability for success is going to be the pass with this offense. That’s really my main point. Especially with Cincinnati this season. The Bengals run game stinks, to be quite frank. It’s a bottom 10-12 rush offense by most metrics.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Props to Zac Taylor for Play Calling - KillerGoose - 11-23-2021, 12:26 AM