Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
End (Defund) the Police; The Ugly Truth
(11-23-2021, 06:16 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Part of law enforcement is the contract between the agency and government.  If you operate within a department's policies then you cannot be held personally liable.  If you act outside of policy you will, more often than not, open yourself up to liability.  Now, depending on the contract there may be levels of accountability, often couched in legal language like "acts of extreme negligence" for example.  As it's not possible to write policy to cover every possible situation there will always be some grey areas but, generally, if you act in good faith then you're not likely be personally liable even if you unintentionally violate policy.  So, it's certainly not completely black and white.  Sadly, this type of thing does prevent law enforcement from going "above and beyond" but this is seen as a necessary tradeoff to prevent abuse of the position.

So maybe the policies need re-tooled.

I genuinely don't know too much about it. I'm a guy who sees things like Michael Brown and Daniel Shaver and shit like that and yeah, I get mad at the cops involved. I try not to say all cops are **** ups - a guy I've grown up with is a cop in Toledo and he's as good a guy you'll ever meet - but it's hard not to get irritated as a layman when you see the shit plastered all over the news and social media.

In my time here, I feel like I've gotten a peak behind the curtain (as it is) that most don't take the time to search out - mainly due to you, SSF. I'm happy to learn these different view points and how the system actually works, so thank you for that.

Also, **** social media.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: End (Defund) the Police; The Ugly Truth - BigPapaKain - 11-23-2021, 08:42 PM