Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Offensive Line Rating and Joey Franchise
(12-14-2021, 10:52 PM)Boomer Anderson Wrote: I know we all give the O Line crap endlessly and we should.  They have shown "some" improvement this year, but the line's ratings for this past Niners game were Pass Blocking:  Jonah 58.5 6 pressures; Spain 53.0 4 pressures; Hopkins 57.8 3 pressures; Adeniji 24.4 6 pressures; Reiff 51.7 1 pressure and Prince 23.9 4 pressures allowed.  I mean damn, that's horrible.  

Joey Franchise was the highest rated QB in the NFL Sunday with a 90.6 rating despite the Niners constantly being either in his face, planting him after he threw or sacking him.  The dude is incredible and imagine how great he would be with just a smidge more protection and time and if Zac Taylor stopped calling plays for him and just let him turn it loose his way.   I think Joe is the best in the league (Bengal bias), and I know he isn't made of glass, but I pray every Sunday that he doesn't get killed.

Question is, how do we fix or overhaul the line, this play calling, special teams?  This team can win now, and I have to wonder if Joe wishes every day that the Bengals would've taken Herbert so that he could have gone elsewhere.  I love my black and orange and have for 52 years and always will, but Mike Brown just won't let them love us back. Someone talk me off the ledge. Lol

(12-14-2021, 11:15 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Joe Burrow isn’t the only Joe suffering from bad blocking.  Joe Mixon is having issues too.  

Joe Mixon is currently second among NFL rushers.  Given bad blocking this is miraculous but Joe accumulates 55 yards one week and 155 yards the next.  That’s great for his personal statistics but it yields a wildly inconsistent rushing attack.  With better blocking he would gain yards consistently which would help the Bengals score more often.

Joe Burrow above the median in touchdown passes thrown but he also leads the league in interceptions.  This doesn’t surprise me at all because he has also been sacked the most, knocked down the most, and many of his passes get deflected because defensive linemen and linebackers are in his face.  When Burrow has had time to go through his progressions, set his feet, and throw he’s been great.  When he gets hurried or flushed out of the pocket his accuracy suffers which happens to everyone.

On run plays it’s time to resurrect the 2009 “jumbo package” with an extra tackle especially with Riley Reiff hurt.  We’re going to need two tackles to take his place.

On pass plays it might be time to keep a tight end in the backfield to block and send one less receiver deep.

Well, just look at how many times the front office and Zac Taylor have gotten up and flatly stated that they have confidence in the OL. With Taylor it started right off the bat with the 3 year deals given to Bobby Hart and Miller while Cordy Glenn got more and more negative as the year went on and refused to play [Yeah, that was on Taylor's watch as well.] Then Michael Jordan was the next stud expected to become a dominant starting guard, but who flopped badly from the start.

I remember sometime during last season where someone was saying the Bengals already had their future starting RT on the roster with Adeniji, but my god, he doesn't look like a future starting RT. At least not one that I'd like to see starting.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Offensive Line Rating and Joey Franchise - BengalChris - 12-15-2021, 01:15 AM