Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Offensive Line Rating and Joey Franchise
(12-15-2021, 10:46 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: While I completely agree with your statements here (although I don't agree with the shot at ownership), another poster (Fan In Kettering) had the proper response:  get veteran FA talent at key positions on the line.  They also need to continue to build through the draft.  

However, that won't do anything NOW.

The Bengals have the healthiest roster, the best offense, and the best QB in the AFC North TODAY.  How can they work with the line they have?

Here is my thoughts:

Remember when Brady was a Patriot and his offense was putting up huge points on just about every team?  He had a great line, yes, but what made them great?  He didn't have always have all day to throw, but he ALWAYS had an "immediate option".  A checkdown that could uncover quickly to give him a quick drop off against a blitz, or a blown coverage.  If the coverage held, he would continue through his progressions and take his shots. 

His first Super Bowl, that final drive was a bunch of short passes to Faulk.  Nothing down the field.  For some time, it was Wes Welker.  He would be able to shake ANY LB that was trying to cover him out of the backfield.  This combination was especially lethal on third down.

That is what the Bengals need.  Mixon and Perine simply don't uncover quickly enough.  Evans shows real promise here, but is out injured and I don't know the severity of the injury.

My idea?  I doubt you will like it, but I would use Chase as a slot WR or even line him up in the backfield.  The route design of ZT takes far too long to develop and leads to Burrow getting hit.  They need their best weapon to be able to uncover for a short route on third down or 2nd and very long.  If something down the field presents itself with Higgins or Boyd, great.  But I believe on those downs Chase needs to be utilized to move the chains and give Burrow a more immediate check down.  

This does not mean you are taking away Burrow's vertical threat.  It means in certain downs and distance, you are giving him a more immediate option and getting the ball in to the hands of your playmaker.  Remember the pass to Chase that he spun out of a tackle against the ratbirds?  

Evans, if healthy, may be able to execute this role.  Until then, give me Chase short and move the chains.  No more sacks on third down.  

I don’t hate it…
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Offensive Line Rating and Joey Franchise - Nicomo Cosca - 12-15-2021, 11:58 AM