Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Young Defensive Playmakers
(12-15-2021, 06:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Cam Sample has a 67.4 run defense grade according to PFF. He can be the base 4-3 DE and rotate in with Ossai on passing downs.
I'm fine with getting another DE on Day 3, but I don't want to see a premium pick spent on DE when there are clearly bigger needs.

If the Bengals can properly address the needs in FA though prior to the draft, I'm cool with DE.

I find it interesting though that you say the Bengals are comfortable with the OL.
You could then use the same "excuse" for the DEs too.
They just drafted three DEs this past draft (Ossai, Sample, Hubert).
They just signed Hendrickson to a big contract.
They just re-signed Hubbard.

I would bet they view the DEs in higher regard than the OL going into 2022.
1.)I feel  Their comfortable with both starting Lines as of right now. If they Resign both Spain and Rieff to contracts in the off-season then Offensive Line isn't that big of deal as everyone wants it to be. C is really the only position of worry and historically it's not a position the front office prioritizes.

2.) Hubert is a 7th RD pick coming of an major injury and Oassi is also coming off a major injury. Both are still question marks going into next season. As for Sample he is more of a 3T than DE(Reminds me of Gilberry in that regard).

3.) Ideally you want 5 OL to play the whole game. There is very little rotation that goes into the Offensive Line unless something bad happens. On the other hand a defensive line expects to play 8 or 9 guys a game. Therefore a backup D-Lineman is more valuable than an offensive lineman. 

4th.) We supposedly don't draft for Need( I tend not to agree with that) & even if we did the biggest need on the Offensive Line is a center. There is only 1 guy worth a first RD pick at that position and he is currently going in the top 10 of the first Rd. 

All in All I like the current Roster I don't really see a major need outside of CB and Center. I I foresee a ton of flexibility in this draft and could see Duke go in multiple directions. I wouldn't mind a T drafted early in the draft either FYI.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Young Defensive Playmakers - jj22 - 12-13-2021, 12:21 PM
RE: Young Defensive Playmakers - J24 - 12-13-2021, 04:46 PM
RE: Young Defensive Playmakers - Synric - 12-14-2021, 10:09 AM
RE: Young Defensive Playmakers - J24 - 12-14-2021, 05:35 PM
RE: Young Defensive Playmakers - J24 - 12-15-2021, 06:27 PM
RE: Young Defensive Playmakers - J24 - 12-17-2021, 06:40 PM