Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
49ers punter said to have induced fumbles, Phillips had a broken hand?
(12-19-2021, 11:06 AM)pally Wrote: In less than 3 years, the 49ers punter has had 16 punts muffed or bobbled.  That stat alone can indicate he might be able to change or disguise his punts in a way American returners aren’t used to seeing, esp ones that don’t see him on a regular basis.
But, it also sounds like they spent a lot of time studying Darius and had a punter capable of putting it in the way he likes least to receive it.  
I don’t believe he had a broken hand.  I do believe the injured shoulder, in part, led to the 2nd muff, as he couldn’t really extend his arms

Do we know if the 16 punts miffed or bobbled is that different than other punters? I feel like at least once a game we see someone bobble a punt or drop it even if they don't lose it. Phillips chose to dive for the first punt because he misjudged it so I'm not sure how that's due to the punter. The second one he let hit him off his chest. We've seen Phillips have bad decision making all year so I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised but these events. 

I'm also not sure why anyone would say they wished Erickson was back and how he was reliable. He was notorious for muffing/fumbling punts and leads the league in fumbling punts since he's been in the league. He had 17 fumbles in 5 years with the Bengals.

For reference that's only 1 less than Gio, Mixon, and Perine have had in their entire careers...combined.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 49ers punter said to have induced fumbles, Phillips had a broken hand? - TheFan - 12-19-2021, 11:47 AM