Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Young Defensive Playmakers
(12-15-2021, 06:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Cam Sample has a 67.4 run defense grade according to PFF. He can be the base 4-3 DE and rotate in with Ossai on passing downs.
I'm fine with getting another DE on Day 3, but I don't want to see a premium pick spent on DE when there are clearly bigger needs.

If the Bengals can properly address the needs in FA though prior to the draft, I'm cool with DE.

I find it interesting though that you say the Bengals are comfortable with the OL.
You could then use the same "excuse" for the DEs too.
They just drafted three DEs this past draft (Ossai, Sample, Hubert).
They just signed Hendrickson to a big contract.
They just re-signed Hubbard.

I would bet they view the DEs in higher regard than the OL going into 2022.

(12-17-2021, 06:48 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If you decide to re-sign Reiff, you need to have someone grooming behind him. Not only because of his age, but his lack of durability.
Reiff has only played a full season twice in his career - 2013 and 2015. He's been able to play double-digits every season, but the team can't rely on him staying healthy the whole season.

I'm not sure where D'Ante Smith ends up playing at, as they put him primarily at OG this season. Prince is bad. Team doesn't seems to have Fred Johnson as the last OT off the bench. As such, they probably could use a better option for backup OT than what they currently have.

I can see a DL taken in Rd 3, but I'm prioritizing OL over DL. Bengals have two high-paid edge starters and have Ossai and Sample to rotate in. I see Sample more like a Frostee Rucker or Jon Fanene - base DE who needs to move inside on passing downs. 

If the Bengals wanna use a mid-round pick on DE after they address CB and OL, I'm fine with that. I just don't like much of the OL options after Rd 2 and I think you can find a rotational DE in the mid-rounds.

I am with Ocho here. He pretty much nailed my thoughts. J24 makes a lot of good points but depth on the OL is a bigger
deal than he is making out. You are bound to have an OL go down or even 2 in a season, so you need at least 2 quality 
backups at the very least to step in at anytime and not have a lot of downfall in play. Ossai and Hubert coming back with 
Cam having a second year in the system should really help the End position next season. Also think Cam Sample has 
upside and could become a good pass rusher to go along with his good run stopping.

We need a Center and for our young guys to come along while signing at the very least Spain. You still have a question 
mark at RT, a very valuable position. CB is where we go in the 1st round I am sure of it so we can get a BPA with talent.

Hope we bring back both Spain and Reiff and add a Center in FA. This opens up the Draft IMO.

Lindenbaum won't be there when we pick unless something crazy happens.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Young Defensive Playmakers - jj22 - 12-13-2021, 12:21 PM
RE: Young Defensive Playmakers - J24 - 12-13-2021, 04:46 PM
RE: Young Defensive Playmakers - Synric - 12-14-2021, 10:09 AM
RE: Young Defensive Playmakers - J24 - 12-14-2021, 05:35 PM
RE: Young Defensive Playmakers - J24 - 12-15-2021, 06:27 PM
RE: Young Defensive Playmakers - J24 - 12-17-2021, 06:40 PM
RE: Young Defensive Playmakers - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 12-23-2021, 08:27 PM