Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals should change the strategy covering tight ends going forward..
(12-23-2021, 11:46 PM)BFritz21 A few times we also left the middle of the field WIDE open and just let Kittle catch crossing routes or posts (If I remember correctly). Wrote: I was thinking "WTF! He's their biggest weapon and the player you have to focus your attention on stopping.........."

I might have posted it in the Game Day thread on here?

That was just horrible coaching.

I really don't know what the solution is but it seems like it has been a problem dating all the way back to Marvin...........

This wasn't by intentional design, obviously. They were likely just playing zone coverage and you were seeing Kittle pass through zones. These DCs really, really know their stuff and they aren't going to forget about someone like Kittle. For instance, here are a couple of screenshots from Kittle's touchdown, which was a crossing route. 

Here is Bachie grabbing Kittle as he crosses the middle of the field...
[Image: LWQti4y.png]

However, Bachie has to drop off because of a delayed angle/crosser out of the backfield....

[Image: liI9o9A.png]

Now, Jimmy can't quite throw this ball yet because he is reading Chido. He can either throw it low to Kittle or throw it high to Deebo? Not sure who the top receiver is, but you get the point. Chido steps towards Deebo, leaving Kittle open and Jimmy hits him for the touchdown. Now, there was a play where Kittle got open on a post for 16 yard gain, and he was wide open, but that was because they ran cover 0 and rushed six. Just being aggressive and it bit them in the ass. 

Another play in OT had Kittle open over the middle for an eight yard gain but it was a block and release. 

via GIPHY

I don't think any of these are "horrible" coaching - you can argue that the blitz was a dubious call but that ends up being an argument about the result itself, not necessarily the call. If Jimmy was sacked, it'd be a great call, it's just a risk/reward thing. DC's know what they are doing, but so do OC's and the 49ers had counters. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals should change the strategy covering tight ends going forward.. - KillerGoose - 12-24-2021, 10:41 AM