Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compromised OL Off season plan
I think the plan should be to improve the OL's stability with short term money until the rookie contracts of the offensive studs hit. The FO is notorious for putting too much hope/stock into their own young prospects, but could buy into this as they did with the Riley Rieff deal.

Two things that won't happen:
1. Long term deal to Jonah Williams: They'll let his rookie deal play out and tag him if needed the following year.
2. High resource (pick or contract) going to a RG. They have a lot of in house guys to complete, and I'll give them that if they...

Three things that should happen:
1. Sign Spain to a 3-4 year deal. This should be done really early in the off season, some of us will say they overpay but it has less guaranteed money in the final year.
2. The big improvement that I think will happen is actually at center, not RG. Hopkins is coming off the injury and battling well, but they need to invest his 6M into a high end center in case they have issues at RG short term or have issues at other positions like OT in the long term. Ryan Jensen will be overpriced, Karras is possible but I think they give Ben Jones a 3rd year even at his age. I want a big long term free agency pickup at center, but I'll take Jones and his elite pass blocking at center to take pressure off RG for 2-3 years.
3. Keep Riley Rieff. Don't be shocked if they again give him a front loaded first year especially with them liking Carman, Smith and some others.

Some of these young guys could move around the line but the OL would look something like:

LT Jonah Williams/Isaiah Prince- Jonah is the future and hopefully stays long term. They like Prince as a 3rd tackle and D'Ante Smith could be an option here too long term

LG Quinton Spain/D'Ante Smith- They should be thrilled if Spain keeps his production from this year

C Ben Jones/Trey Hill - Jones would be a stable improvement, Hill likely back as the backup

RG Hakeem Adeniji/Jackson Carman/D'Ante Smith/Fred Johnson (RFA)- RG will be a polarizing topic through the off season. I can see polls where people are pounding the table calling it a mistake to not solidify the position or "calling" that their guy will be a great RG. I'm content with a RG battle as a compromise if they get the other positions right.

RT Riley Rieff/Prince and the new generation of leftovers from the RG scrum
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Compromised OL Off season plan - phil413 - 12-31-2021, 12:14 PM
RE: Compromised OL Off season plan - Au165 - 01-12-2022, 06:23 PM
RE: Compromised OL Off season plan - J24 - 02-16-2022, 01:17 AM