Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Scared of Terrorism Should You Be?
(11-19-2015, 04:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Before I offer my opinion, could you come up with some more recent, relevant statistics about American victims of terrorism?  That 5 year old article just seems a bit dated, considering all of the events that have transpired since then. 

https://reason.com/archives/2015/07/02/dont-be-terrorized-by-your-government-th

Quote:The current spate of terrorism warnings certainly sounds scary in light of the recent terror attacks in Kuwait, Tunisia, and France. Islamic radicals linked with ISIS and Al Qaeda no doubt hope to carry out or inspire attacks in the United States. I was as horrified any other American by the September 11, 2001, atrocities. But we all need to keep in mind that terror only works if you let it.

The plain fact is that terrorism does not remotely threaten the existence of the United States. Even more importantly, it does not materially threaten you or your family. According to the Global Terrorism Database at the University of Maryland, only 68 Americans have died in terror attacks since 9/11, and that includes the 13 who died in the Fort Hood rampage by military psychiatrist Nidal Malik Hasan.
That's an average of just under 5 people per year. An additional 260 Americans were injured, including 132 in the Boston Marathon bombing, yielding an average of about 19 people wounded annually. So since 2001, your annual chances of dying or being injured in a terrorist attack have been 1 in 62 million and 1 in 16 million, respectively. For some context, note that an average of 335 people drown in their bathtubs annually, a rate of just over 1 in 900,000. Americans are 69 times more likely to die taking a bath than from terrorism.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How Scared of Terrorism Should You Be? - GMDino - 11-19-2015, 05:15 PM