Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I thought this had to be a joke, but sadly no. We have an idiot in charge.
(01-03-2022, 09:32 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: What about Deniro saying "F*&k Trump" twice at the Tony awards to a standing ovation?  What about Madonna talking about blowing up the White house?  What about Kathy Griffin holding up a facsimile of Trump's severed head?  What about Trump replacing Caesar in the Central Park rendition of Shakespeare?   What about a Trump look alike being shot in a Snoop Dog video?  What about Colbert referring to Trump's mouth as "Putin's cockholster?"  I don't recall you being sad about any of those, or the myriad other such, instances.

I get that Trump brought much of it on himself, the man is an ass, but as I said in my initial post on the "F Joe Biden" chant, the officer of POTUS deserves a modicum of respect regardless of the occupant.  Now, I'm not going to pretend I know what's in your mind, but it certainly appears that you only care about civility and treating the POTUS with respect now that Trump is no longer in office.  But don't feel too bad, you've got plenty of company in this regard.

Honestly, to me, I really don't care about any of those instances. Free speech being what it is I have no objections to any of it. Respect for the office, to me, means things like standing when POTUS enters the room and waiting to sit (like you do for a judge, for instance) or recognizing the gravity of the office in certain dealings. I've met high ranking political figures from both major parties and some Libertarians, Greens, and independents. I've shaken hands with G. W. Bush and Al Gore. I've had long chats with Sen. Mark Warner, and I also discussed issues with his predecessor John Warner. I can respect the offices they held or hold and still say outright that George Bush ***** sucks.

I think what makes this particular instance so egregious to me is that the individual who did it didn't just post online or even write a letter. They interrupted a broadcast intended for children that was intended to help them bask in the magic of Christmas. That was honestly worse, to me, than any of your examples. The Tony's one comes the closest, but even it doesn't compare because of the intended audience. That, to me, is the biggest difference here.

The "Let's Go, Brandon" stuff is asinine. It's a meme at this point on the left as we laugh at the right-wingers thinking they are somehow pulling something over on us. We don't like Biden, either, we know what it means, we don't really care, it doesn't trigger anyone, we just kind of sigh at the stupidity and redundancy at this point. But if people want to keep on with it, they can feel free. Just choose the time and place better.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: I thought this had to be a joke, but sadly no. We have an idiot in charge. - Belsnickel - 01-04-2022, 12:08 PM