Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GOP cares more about NRA than closing 'terrorist loophole'
(11-21-2015, 05:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am familiar with the current court challenges to this as well as the No-fly List.

But are you claiming that none of the people on these lists are working with terrorists?  That seems pretty naive to me.  

So it all come down to balancing interests.  I agree that the people on these lists should have more efficient ways to challenge their inclusion, but the problem is that the source of much of this information is classified for national security reasons.

Only a small percentage of the people on these lists are US citizens.  I say don't let them buy guns.  Give them a means to challenge their inclusion on the list, mbut don't be stupid enough to act like Americans are being stripped of their freedoms for no reason at all.  You know I am not into fear mongering, but I am not into just doing away with all means of protecting us from the threat of terrorists activity. 
If the government has correctly identified somebody as a terrorist, then the evidence they have should be given to a grand jury so the appropriate charges can be filed. The criteria to be on the list is "reasonable suspicion" and that is solely in the opinion of the person filling out the paperwork to add someone to the list. No court or 3rd party oversight even ensures that reasonable suspicion actually exists. 99% of people suggested for the list get added. That's the actually statistic, not a hyperbole on my part. More than 1% of inmates convicted and put on death row are eventually acquitted, and they originally got actual due process, a judge, jury and a defense counsel.

Are putting put on this list for "no reason at all"? For most people I'm sure this is some sort of reason, but that reason hardly means you're a terrorist.

A person's rights can only be taken away if they are found guilty of something. Putting the burden of proving yourself off the list is the exact opposite of how the judicial system works. There's no effective way for an innocent person to get off the list, and they shouldn't have limited rights until this inefficient and ineffective process works.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: GOP cares more about NRA than closing 'terrorist loophole' - 6andcounting - 11-21-2015, 06:07 PM