Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Burrow vs Herbert - Who do NFL sources, PFF analysts prefer long-term?
(01-13-2022, 01:59 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: I think the important takeaway is that both the classical NFL folks and the analytics-driven folks see plenty to like in both quarterbacks. I don't think anyone is calling Burrow a noodle-arm or anything. Overall it's a fair view, and to this point I don't believe either QB has staked a strong claim as "better". Maybe this postseason can give Burrow an edge, but we'll have to see what happens.

My personal view? I think we got the better quarterback. I will admit that in the beginning, my feeling was more plain: Burrow is a great prospect and Herbert is an ordinary prospect. I am willing to say now that I underestimated Herbert, and the sky is the limit for that dude. We'd be silly to pretend that's not the case. However, when I consider the elements of QB play that I believe are most important and most predictive of long-term success, I would say it's either a wash or advantage-Burrow in most cases.

Durability - Herbert
Accuracy - Burrow
Anticipation - Burrow
Pocket presence - Burrow
Mobility - Herbert
Decision making - wash
Progressions - wash
Leadership/cultural impact - Burrow

Other factors that I either find less important or impossible to qualify in any meaningful way:

Size - Herbert
Arm strength - Herbert
"Moxie" - Burrow

I would give Burrow Decision Making and Progressions too. I watched that Raiders/Chargers game and not only was the pressure flustering Herbert (the reason for all the 4th downs was inaccuracy) but only a really ticky tack 4th down flag kept that drive alive at all. And the Raiders also blew coverage a couple of times too. In OT you saw it again and that time it cost the Chargers. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Burrow vs Herbert - Who do NFL sources, PFF analysts prefer long-term? - Joelist - 01-13-2022, 02:43 PM