Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Lou Interviewing for NYG HC Position
(01-23-2022, 01:56 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: This, exactly.  Lou built this defense (assistants, free agents and draft choices) to fit his system.  Changing coaches isn't like changing a light bulb.  I love Zim, but IF we lose Anarumo his successor -- if at all possible -- needs to come from within.

PS, good for Lou

No.  Hell no.

That's the type of approach Mikey Boy employed for literally decades that failed miserably.

In house he says....I don't think so pal.

This whole narrative just got fast forwarded big time by Burrow and the freak shows.

We're winning now, one dub from the Super Bowl.  We're not hibernating or incubating and honing our craft hoping that in 2 or 3 years we can make a run.

We're making a run rt now.  If you lose a key contributor like your DC after this season, you don't just take the cheap easy option of promoting a position coach you already have.

If it comes to it, you absolutely take a long hard look at a guy like Zimmer.  There is familiarity with a guy who's already been successful in Cincy, proven stud of a DC who wasn't a bad HC either....when you've got the talent on the field to potentially attract a coach of his pedigree, you look into it for sure.  Ya don't necessarily do it, ya gotta do your due diligence for something this important in real time....but you def look...and you certainly don't just assume the position coaches you could get at a discount will be just as good as other coaches with more experience and better resumes.

This franchise's entire history is different if the Bengals had the foresight to promote the right guy when Paul Brown retired.  They went with tenure, and Tiger Johnson had been on staff longer then Bill Walsh at the time.

Promoting from within/sticking with a coach who's long since proven ineffective as often as the Bengals have over the years, seems to me like Mike Brown doubling down on his old man's stubborn refusal to promote the better man back in the day.  Paul Brown went with the guy who had more tenure.  Mike Brown treated that abomination of a hiring decision as a "hold my beer" moment for decades as he proceeded to hire/not fire the Dave Shula's, Dick LeBeau's and Marvin Lewis' of the world.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lou Interviewing for NYG HC Position - Savagehenry54 - 01-23-2022, 10:43 PM