Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Quentin Spain wants to come back to Cincinnati
(01-24-2022, 10:16 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: So, we currently have about 58 million dollars in cap space. If we cut Waynes, that increases to 70 million.

If we sign the 4 I mentioned for the AAV that I had there, 10 million for the first 2, 8 million for Spain and 7.5 million for Reiff, we'd be sitting at 34 million left.

In my mind, we need to re-sign BJ Hill, CJ Uzomah, Eli Apple and Jessie Bates among the players that expect to contribute heavily to the cap.

I don't know for sure how much those players will cost. Let's assume 10 million for our rookie pool and let's assume we FT Bates. That's 23 more million (13 million projected for safeties).

That would leave 11 million for Hill, Uzomah and Apple. I could see all three of them signing short term, relatively cheap deals (say 5 million AAV) or I could see them each cashing in on great seasons. It's hard to tell. It'll be tight and that's probably why, if we make serious moves on the Oline, it likely won't be all 4 of those. 

But if we can just get 1 or 2 good free agents on the Oline and feature it heavily in the draft, we may be okay.

Yes, cutting Trae Waynes does get our Cap to about 70 mil. The problem is there are a lot of players we will need to sign as well that will be costly when added up. 
Off Line - Riley Reiff, Quinton Spain & Fred Johnson
Def Line - Larry Ogunjobi, BJ Hill & Josh Tupou
Special Teams - Kevin Huber & Clark Harris
QB - Brandon Harris
Def Backs - Eli Apple, Vernon Hargreaves, Ricardo Allen, Tre Flowers & Jessie Bates
LB - Jordan Evans
TE - CJ Uzomah
WR - Stanley Morgan & Auden Tate

When I project the cost to sign a lot of these guys including a few salary bumps there really is not a lot left to sign a lot of free agents. Even if you get rid of a few of these guys you still need to sign replacements at those positions. Tough decision on how much you pay for OgunJobi and Jessie Bates and a CJ Uzomah. I love to keep everybody but we need to improve the line play with 1-2 Free agent lineman.

I do think we may be able to entice a guy like Andrew Norwell (LG) to come back and play for his hometown team. He is 30 but would get 6-10 mil.  Would also be great to get RG - Brandon Scherff (30) to sign a 5 year 63 mil deal that Spotrac has his market value at. That is about 12.7 million a year. I don't think we will do either of these options. We will sign Bates, Uzomah & Spain and stay the plan with the rookie lineman.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Quentin Spain wants to come back to Cincinnati - SuperBowlBound! - 01-25-2022, 09:49 AM