Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The "Green Bay Sweep"--One Year Later
(01-25-2022, 11:49 AM)hollodero Wrote: I don't really think so. The filibuster is a tool for the minority party, not one for the republican party necessarily. I get Manchin's point that once the dems are in the minority again, they would miss the filibuster dearly.
(What I think he gets wrong though is the notion that the republicans will uphold the filibuster. I am willing to bet that is one of the first orders of business when they regain power there, to get rid of it and blame it on the democrats.)

I see this point being made all of the time and I have to wonder where it came from.  The last time the GOP held Congress and the Executive branch I don't recall the topic of ending the filibuster ever coming up.  I've never heard a prominent GOP member calling for the end of the filibuster.  Ending the filibuster entirely is solely a Dem position.  Now, I'm not saying I'm omniscient and that it's not possible some GOP member has advocated for this.  But what I can say with 100% certainty is that it's not a party wide issue and wasn't during the entirety of Trump's presidency.

I really do wonder where this idea that the GOP ending the filibuster is a fait accompli came from.  I see no grounding in reality or fact for making this claim.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The "Green Bay Sweep"--One Year Later - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 01-25-2022, 01:07 PM