Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Would a Win in the AFC Championship Game Be the Biggest in Franchise History?
At first blush it's hard for me to say that it would be bigger than the first AFC title game, and for a couple of reasons. One, that title came with the first playoff success this franchise had known in its first 14 seasons. It was ground-breaking, in other words. Secondly, there is so much lore surrounding the Freezer bowl, both for Bengal fans and the league as a whole. As the years pass the stories continue to fascinate and the imagined crowd size for that game only grows. No one really talks much about the '88 championship, by comparison, so I think it's reasonable to suggest it would eclipse that game.

Having said all that, I do understand there is a generational implication. I've been alive and a fan of this team to see that '81 playoff run, the Freezer Bowl and SB XVI, and all of that means a lot to me. I can't imagine what if anything all of that means to a 38-year-old fan born two years later. Probably not a lot, ancient history and all, but perhaps such a fan can enlighten me.

Given how much time has passed between those old glories and now, in the final analysis, I would have to concede that winning Sunday might eclipse anything that came before, because it would be a revival of sorts of the older fans, and a brand-new experience for any Bengals fans under 40+.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would a Win in the AFC Championship Game Be the Biggest in Franchise History? - Awful Llama - 01-26-2022, 10:26 AM